Tuesday 10 February 2015

Geneva in the rear-view

Going to Geneva from Lyon was a no-brainer - it's only 2 hours away by train, I'd never been there before, and we all know that I'm obsessed with Roger Federer. Sadly, I did not run into him here, and I had to comfort myself with copious amounts of Swiss chocolate (Because I never planned to do that anyway...).

It's been said before, but Lac Leman is beautiful. Even without the appearance of the Jet D'eau,  it really was the heart of the city. And then when you take in the snowcapped mountains that are just behind it, the view is incredible. I knew that the landscape would be mountainous, but I didn't know that I would find it so compelling.

The Swiss use a different currency and charging outlets than the rest of the EU, which was inconvenient. I thought London was expensive, but Geneva takes that crown and does the split on it. To be fair, the food in central Paris and Lyon was just as costly. But I've been way above budget so far, (suck it Ryan, I can say what I want in MY blog) which means that I either gave myself too much leeway while I was planning, or that my cold-induced lack of appetite is working out nicely (Probably a bit of both.).

I used the morning of my one full day there to do a tour of the Palais des Nations. It was pretty decent, and I got to stand in the place where the UDHR was signed, so it hit all the right spots for this IR nerd. I also got to see the various other UN buildings, including the UNHCR (whose map of the world didn't include SKN so I suggested it as a recommendation) and the WTO (which I did not give the finger to, surprisingly).

I spent that afternoon going around the Old Town. It was pretty, but not the best I've seen. The view of Geneva from the top of Saint Pierre Cathedral was a nice discovery. And as it was Monday and most things were closed, I appreciated their sense of capitalism.

I spent most of today at the Musee Ariana (glass and china museum that's next door to the UN), and bumming around the lake hoping that that damn jet would appear. Sadly, it didn't. My train to Milan left at lunchtime, and even though I really wanted to sleep, the scenery outside the window was just amazing.

(Authors's notes: I'm only in Milan for 24 hours before taking a late afternoon train to Florence, so I'll be whizzing by the major sites tomorrow. Updates to come! Thanks as always for reading, all 28 page views of you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment