Saturday 7 February 2015

Paris, I hardly knew ya

So I really meant to create this earlier. But then I left things until the last minute (as usual) and only had time just to create this account.  I know it's very bare bones right now,  but I'll try to get in front of a PC and pretty it up.

Disclaimer aside, welcome to my travel blog. I kept saying I'd do it,  and I did! Considering that I probably won't ever have the time, money or youth to do something like this again, I wanted to document my journey. This way, I will always have memories of that one winter when I spread my germs across Europe.

That's right, germs.  Because as usual, my spoiled tush got sick the moment I crossed a border. But after sleeping away most of my last day in Paris, things are now manageable.

Enough complaining (I know,  shocking that I've stopped so early. ). Paris was lovely - since I'd been before, I didn't feel as though there was an agenda I had to stick to. I was free to improvise and find gems that I hadn't known about back in '09 (like the view of the city from the terrace of the Galleries Lafayette). I also had the time to do a day tour of some of the castles in the Loire Valley, which were stunning.

But what I found most intriguing about Paris was how much I've changed since that visit. Back then, I'd never travelled outside of N. America, and never without a companion. I was one year out of sixth form and still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I'd never even had a serious boyfriend at that point.

Now, I've lived outside my home country for the past 4.5 years. I've become all too familiar with Megabus coaches, East Coast and Via Rail trains, and infuriating European budget airlines. I just finished my Masters degree, and I have a good handle on how I want my life to unfold.

Starting my journey in Paris was a great decision. Having come straight from London, nothing about being in a bustling capital fazed me. This time, I thrived on it. And in the end, I left wishing I'd had more than the scant 3 days I'd given myself.

I got to indulge my epic love for French bread (And cheese. And pastries. And desserts...). I got to reconnect with friends I made during that first visit and who I thought I'd never see again. I got to see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night in all its shimmering glory, a sight so beautiful that I don't think you can ever really brace yourself for it.

Paris, there is no other like you.

(Author's notes: I leave Lyon tomorrow and I'll write about it then. Playing catch up, as noted above.  Also, many thanks to Laura, the most magnifique host a girl could ask for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment